Saturday, October 3, 2009

You Feed It, It Grows!


I wouldn't be a Mom without being able to brag a little, right? (look at Miles, look at Miles...) Miles had his two month check up this week and he is doing great and growing like a weed! Mommy's so proud! 90th percentile in height (2 feet tall)!! 75th percentile in weight (12lbs. 13oz.)! and 70th percentile in head circumference! I was a little worried that he went from 80th percentile in weight to 75th percentile, but Aaron pointed out that if Miles hadn't had a massive poop that morning, he probably would've been in the 80th percentile and is hardly falling off any curve. OK, fine. At any rate, I'm not sure where Miles got all this length from, but we'll take it for now!


Our pediatrician, Dr. Hogan, said he's growing beautifully! AND that he is very advanced and very strong! As usual, Miles showed off his abilities at the doctor's office (Dr. Hogan is pretty cute and nice) and lifted his head and shoulders up. Dr. Hogan (paraphrasing): "Wow, he's so strong! Look at him, holding himself up! That's very hard to do you know; it's like doing isometric exercises and he's just holding it for a while, he's not even getting tired. You know he's a good month ahead of schedule." Me: (beaming): "yeah, he likes being on his belly, holding himself up, he even has accidently rolled over THREE times!" (no documentation yet). I like to believe that Miles is also ahead of the curve in language as he coos up a storm and makes all sorts of (strange) sounds.... (our future super student-athlete... no pressure). Unfortunately Dr. Hogan didn't have much to add to help Miles lack of sleeping and napping... or his occasional screaming/hating the boob. She seemed unconcerned at Mom's tiredness and was happy that Miles's was growing great.

The hating of the boob got so bad one day that I decided to stop actual breastfeeding and to just feed Miles my breastmilk via pumping/bottle. This lasted only a day or two before I realized that feeding from the boob was so much more convenient. In the meantime, Dad found some other uses for the Boppy nursing pillow:


At home, we've been busy working on both the sleeping and feeding. I opened up our "Sleep Sheep" the other day, (a stuffed sheep that makes all sorts of white noises....)-- which, is pretty awesome I have to say... there's "mom's heart beat" that reminds me a little too much of Harvey the Penn med mannequin used to teach med students heart sounds...(needless to say, we don't really use that sound); whale sounds, ocean sounds, and "the rain" which I found to be most effective with Miles. As a child of mine and Aaron's, I have a sneaking suspicion that its because it sounds more like the familiar sound of frying bacon than rain, but that's just me... Aaron has been working nights again and the other day I found the sleep sheep missing because Aaron stole it to help him sleep. Sometimes I feel like I'm taking care of two babies... first the boppy pillow then the sleep sheep... sigh...

Now for some more recent pictures of Miles (and Dad):
It's been getting cold outside so Miles has been exploring some of his warmer clothing:

Playtime with Dad--



I don't know why I took this picture, but I think its pretty funny that he got one arm loose....and is kind of posing like the Statue of Liberty?

This coming week is a big week for us, Mommy goes back to work, we test out our new Manny, Will, while Mom sleeps, and Justin Hope and Claire come for a visit next weekend!

4 comments:

SHV said...

1) Next time you think about doing something crazy like pumping and bottle feeding rather than just giving that kid the boob, please call me first!

2) Manny?! Do tell!

3) What exactly do you mean by "back to work"? One shift? A full load? More information needed...

4) I know I've said it before but that kid is PRETTY DARN CUTE!!!

DKV said...

90th percentile? Are you sure this is your baby? Were they using some sort of "asian gymnast" growth chart?

That Boppy move is played out, brotha. So 2006! I perfected that "I'm on a post-call airline" look on the trauma service.

Where is the baby sweater vest?

BEO said...

love the sleep sheep!

BEO said...

oh and I like the 'escaping the swaddle' picture - I have a bunch of those and I think I will have to make a whole post of them...