Speaking of our little calf, I am trying to savor these baby moments I have with him. He's growing fast, though, and continues to explore his surroundings (i.e. puts everything in his mouth).
Despite enjoying these moments of babyhood, I keep finding myself continuing to wish that he would get old enough to eat solids. Now that we have the Bumbo, we eat as a family at the dinner table every night and I REALLY want to sneak him food.
I guess my fear of him choking or just the fact that he's just not ready for solids outweighs the fact that I want him to eat beef and pork chops and string beans (or pain perdu and bananas for breakfast as pictured above) but I'm ready to feed the kid more than my boob. I'll be honest, I'm looking forward to spoiling the kid rotten. He's my first, and its my right. I already picture myself getting him a treat every time we go out... a cookie from DiBruno brothers... Pocki or gummy treats from the Chinese grocery store... I'm ready to fatten this kid up with more than milk.
Despite the unsubstantiated previous fear that being a stay-at-home-mom would be boring and would make me feel unproductive, I find the absolute opposite! Being a full time mom makes me feel extremely productive. Having Miles makes me need to get things done in a specified amount of time before the kid starts BUGGGGIN' OUT. It makes for pretty good efficiency. And since I'm home, the dishes are (almost) always clean, laundry (almost) always done, the apartment is clean(er than usual), AND, i've been able to cook meals (the one real truth). This makes me happy. This week has been a bonus week as Aaron has been home more than usual and we have been able to hang out, cook together, be a family.
We've done a bunch of cooking, and in classic Hamilton style, we find an ingredient and build a meal around it. This week's dinner and dessert specials have featured Fava Beans, Apples, Pumpkin, Short Ribs, and tomorrow we feature OxTails. Perhaps we should open up shop. The fava beans proved to be labor intensive from the start. We found the fresh fava beans (yes, Aaron did ask me if I had G6PD deficiency beforehand) and then found the recipe: Fettucine and fava beans with pancetta and escarole. While worth the work, it did require 3 more trips to 3 additional different grocery stores-- (wegman-s fava beans, pathmark- fettucine, dibruno bros.- pancetta, whole foods- escarole) not to mention the double shelling of the beans. who knew fava beans were so high maintenance? No picture. Already in the belly.
A sample of our pies:
Dutch apple pie a la mode
Food styling needs some work...eh?
1 comment:
YUM! Especially the dutch apple pie - every time you mention it on Facebook my stomach grumbles. Nice work people! Oh and not a bad job with that cute kid either. ;)
Post a Comment